Saturday, July 31, 2010

i love south carolina

This month I was invited to perform in my childhood town of Spartanburg, South Carolina. I had not been back to perform since I was 16 when I played the Schumann Piano Concerto with the Spartanburg Philharmonic.  Keith Plumley orchestrated the entire event which was at the beautiful Unitarian Universalist Church where he is Music Director. We did a program with 2 pianos (supplied by Case Brothers Pianos, mmmmwwaahhhh) violin & cello. My husband Jay Bianchi accompanied me on piano as well as Bonnie Lee Mizzell on violin & Ted Luckenburg on cello. They did an incredible job!

Local writer, Janice Baynes wrote a wonderful article promoting me which you can find at http://www.goupstate.com/article/20100715/ARTICLES/7151006/1097/entertainment?Title=Renowned-pianist-Bianchi-returns-for-rare-performance  Thank you Janice!

The audience was generous & incredibly appreciative.  It was truly a magical musical experience for me.  I sang mostly covers with our own interpretation and chose the songs to reflect the southern rock/pop music that I grew up listening to.  The Marshall Tucker Band is from Spartanburg, so I did a swampy, ethereal version of Toy Caldwell's CAN'T YOU SEE.  This song is a beautiful & haunting composition that The MTB made famous with their jangly guitars, earthy vocals and jazzy flute.  I was a little nervous about presenting it in such a stripped down, exposed manner, but it was received with open arms & enthusaism from this gracious southern audience. 

I can't wait to come back again and play.  I heart Spartanburg.

1 comment:

  1. I was fortunate to have attended your performance at the Unitarian Universalist Church in Spartanburg as it was the most Lovely Gift and Blessing!!! I would like to thank you, your husband, Robin, your awesome parents, and also Carol and Sanford Starnes for making July 18 one of the Brightest and Best days of 2010!!!
    With heartfelt gratitude,
    Paula Coleman
    (Wofford College 1976)

    ReplyDelete