Sunday, January 31, 2010

i love my beethoven sonatas


I love my Harold Craxton editions (underneath my cat Mollie who loves to sit on them) of the 32 Beethoven Piano Sonatas with commentaries and notes by Donald Francis Tovey. The actual manuscripts are beautifully printed with linen covers from The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music in London. The notes and comments by Tovey are wonderful and beautifully notated. Each sonata is dedicated by Beethoven to a Count, Countess, Baroness or Archduke, etc. They were commissioned pieces by royalty or high society and quite simply the way Beethoven paid his bills.


Beethoven is a very passionate composer, however not the most romantic, so we don't use him too frequently in ceremonies, however my favorite Beethoven selection from the 32 Sonatas is the Adagio Cantabile from the Pathetique Sonata #8 in C minor, Op. 13. Daniel Barenboim's interpretation below is sublime.



Billy Joel used this in one of his songs (that is now escaping me) but it is gorgeously lyrical & romantically melodic. Perfect for a processional. A great recessional of Beethoven outside of the obvious choral finale of the 9th symphony (also referred to as Joy) is the 1st movement from the Pastorale Symphony. It feels like anything and everything is possible with the light-hearted & magical melody of the opening phrase.

1 comment:

  1. Great picture, Pilley! You know I love the kitties. :-) I think you should do a post on your apartment/house...it is so special, unique, & beautiful! Plus, I can show Jason & say, "see, this is what I want OUR house to look like." ;-) xoxo ~L

    ReplyDelete